About Houston Academy

These are the geniuses that we are busy growing.  Our homeschool is called Houston Academy.  We have been homeschooling for eight years now.  My oldest son is now in the 8th grade.  My second son is in the 6th grade.  My daughter is in the 4th grade.  Homeschooling has been quite an adventure.  Some great days and others … well, maybe not so great.  But it has always been fun.  It is so wonderful to see their little minds grow.  Who knows what the Lord has in store for them in their future.  Right now, one wants to be a scientist, another wants to be an artist, and the other one wants to be a writer.   Whatever they turn out to be, I am praying that Houston Academy will prepare them for life.

Here is a bit more about us:

Marcy

M – Married mother of three    I have been married to my wonderful husband, Mike, for almost 25 years.  We have three precious gifts from the Lord:  Zane – 13, Gabe – 11, and Emma – 9

A – Artsy wanna-be   I really want to learn to paint.  My grandmother was an artist, and I would love to learn also.  So totally not there yet, but I am a work in progress.

R – Romantic    Yes, I  love my husband and love those quiet date nights – when we get them.  I love those girly movies (although a good suspense or action is great also!)

C – Christian    I am follower of the Lord Jesus Christ.  I am so thankful for all that Jesus is in my life.  I have seen him work in some amazing ways in my life. He is my everything!

Y – Young at heart    I love hanging with my kids and playing goofy games.  I am older than I appear.  Maybe because my children are so young.  I enjoy going places and doing exciting things that maybe older people don’t.  My kids definitely keep me young.

Zane

Z – Zany and crazy    I love this crazy kid!  He keeps us in stitches with his funny jokes and silly antics.  Never really know what will come out of his mouth!

A – Adventurous    This is the kid who loves climbing walls and jumping from things.  He always seems to make this momma’s heart skip a beat.  He is always ready for the next big adventure – whatever that may be!

N – Nifty with words    Zane is a really good writer.  He can create interesting stories with good twists and turns.  I think he is in the middle of writing several different books right now.  He wants to be an author when he grows up.  Maybe one day you will be curling up with a good original novel by Zane.

E – Energetic    Where does this kid get all his energy?  He loves playing outside and running around the house.  He is always wrestling with his brother.  Must get all that energy from all the food he eats!  My goodness teenagers eat a TON.

Gabe

G – Goofy     This kid, like his brother, is always making us laugh.  From goofy faces to funny sayings, he keeps us on our toes.

A – Authentic    Gabe is very much a get-what-you-see guy.  He is real.  He says what he thinks.  He is what he is.  There is no guessing when it comes to Gabe.

B – Builder of amazing things     Gabe is outstanding at his LEGO creations.  He has the ability to really visualize something and build it.  He wants to be an engineer when he grows up.  I can totally see that.  He is very creative and has a great math brain (unlike his mother).

E – Excellent at math    As I mentioned above, Gabe just has a great math brain.  He can see the problem and knows just how to tackle it.  He often helps me and his older brother when we get stuck on a math problem.  I can tell you, he got that ability from his father – not from me!

Emma

E – Empathetic    Emma is so tender-hearted.  She seems to know when someone needs a hug or a word of encouragement.  She is so giving, always creating a drawing or painting for someone she is thinking about.  She is so good at remembering to pray for her friends and family that need it.

M – Merry    Talk about a happy kid!!  Emma is known for her smile.  She is always smiling.  She even wakes up smiling.  If you need a pick-me-up, just hang around with her for a bit.  Her smile is contagious.

M – Mischievous     Emma is a mischievous but not in a bad way.  She is always scheming something.  Maybe jumping out to scare you.  Maybe swiping your slippers.  Maybe trash-talking in a game.  But it is fun too.  She is pretty creative in some of her ideas.

A – Artistic    This is my little drawer, painter, crafter.  If there is something artsy-craftsy, Emma loves it.  She has tried her hand at drawing, painting, sewing – you name it.  She wants to be an artist when she grows up.  I am enjoying learning right alongside of her.

And then there is our school principal (A.K.A Dad)

Mike

M- Muscular    Working out is Mike’s thing.  While he is not a huge guy, working out is his stress reliever.  Running, weights, burpees.  You name it.  He encourages our family to be more fit.

I –  Important    Mike is a vital part of our family.  He is the glue that holds us all together.  He is the spiritual leader of our family.  He is the level-headed one that we all need to keep our feet on the ground.

K – Knowledgeable    Mike is a very wise guy (not meaning sassy, but actually wise).  He is great to bounce our problems off of.  He is full of good advice and great ideas.

E –  Entertaining    Mike loves to play the guitar and uke.  He often plays in the evenings after dinner.  That is when he is not reading to us.  He loves doing the read-aloud times in our family.  Everyone loves gathering to listen as he regales us with the latest book we are reading.

Well, that is all about us.  Just one happy, goofy, fun-loving, Jesus-worshiping family.

One thought on “About Houston Academy

1. Marcy, I love the acronyms! You are so good at things like that. That is one reason you are such a good teacher for your geniuses. Between you and Mike I know these precious kids will have everything they need to succeed in life.